Mentawai & North Sumatra
MENTAWAI ISLANDS, INDONESIA
‘Samudra Biru’ means ‘Blue Ocean’ and is one of the nicest catamarans operating in the Mentawai Islands. Its design provides stability at sea and eliminates rock and roll at anchor. Samudra Biru’s speed provides its guests with a tactical advantage in being able to minimize travel time and maximize surfing time throughout the trip, enjoying surf at the lesser-known remote and isolated locations.
Equipped with an array of safety and navigational equipment including GPS, radar, depth sounder and VHF radio, and a satellite phone onboard for regular swell and wind updates. The Samudra Biru offers accommodation for up to ten surfers and is fully air-conditioned. This boat’s size and comfort assure you will find epic surf while traveling in style.
- 16th – 27th March, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 30th March – 10th April, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 13th – 24th April, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 27th April – 8th May, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 25 May – 5th June, 2019 – 2 spots available
- 17th – 28th August, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 31st August – 11th September, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 14th – 25th September, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 12th – 23rd October, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 26th October – 6th November, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 9th – 20th November, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 23rd November – 4th December, 2019 – 10 spots available
- 7th – 18th December, 2019 – 10 spots available
*Please request start date from above options when making a booking.
*Note minimum 5 pax required to sail.
If the above dates don’t work for you, please contact us using the button on the left and we will see what we can do!
- Padang airport transfers, surfboard and ground handling
- 3 + delicious meals per day
- 5 Beers/day per person
- Bottled water, hot drinks, sodas
- Fully air-conditioned accommodation
- TV, DVD, iPod Compatible sound system
- Use of all on-board equipment and facilities
- Two Speed boat tenders (for multiple options for surf breaks)
- Services of owner/operator skippers
- Ongoing support from WOTD customer service.
Parked in the North Indian Ocean, long range ground swells travel miles and unload in a tropical paradise full of amazing people, waves for all levels, palms and coconuts aplenty.
Indo has 2 seasons, wet and dry. Dry season has the most consistent winds and larger swells but don’t be fooled, if you know where to look there are amazing waves year round.
Sure wet season can be wet, but so can getting pitted in an uncrowded reef break with your mates. Off season can deliver amazing waves and we are as passionate about this time of year as any.
If you are an absolute charger then large dry season swells and heaving 8-10 footers at No-Kandui will be your dream. However, if you love hanging with your mates, sinking a few beers, and perfect shoulder to overhead points and reefs then do not count out the shoulder season.
Here’s a guide to the waves which you might get to surf during your trip. Our operators have years of experience and will do their best to ensure that you’re in the right place at the right time. If you’re lucky they might even let you in on some of their secret spots too!
- Beng beng
- Pit Stops
- Bank Vaults
- No Kanduis
- Four Bobs
- Karangbat Left
- Lance’s Left
- Hollow Trees (HT’s, Lance’s Right)
- Bat Caves (Gilligan’s Island)
- Rags Left
- Rags Right
- The Hole
Getting to the Mentawai is somewhat involved for the traveller, however there is no doubt that this Is part of the experience and what it takes to surf some of the best waves in the world.
Most hotels and charters will organise transport from Padang (North Sumatra) so you simply need to organise flights into Padang which usually transfer from either Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Singapore or Bali.
(Any trip specific details such as pick up times, hotel arrangements or additional requirements shall be emailed to you within 48 hours of your booking confirmation)
Once you’ve made payment for your booking you will receive a booking confirmation email with important information regarding your package. Please read this information carefully. If you notice any errors or have any questions regarding your booking, please reply to this email within 24 hours.
Any dietary and/or medical requirements must be stated on your booking form. Any changes in regards to customer information, after the booking has been confirmed cannot be guaranteed.
Sometimes we will request additional information. If so, it is your responsibility to provide this information.
Please note that when booking through Wave of the Day you will have ongoing customer service both before and while on your trip.
Please read our terms and conditions before making a reservation.
Please note all trips exclude the following unless otherwise stated:
- Travel Insurance
- Any local travel taxes or visa charges
- Any additional food, drinks, or services beyond the inclusions listed above
- Additional tours/activities not included by the operator
- Personal expenses
- Any gratuities
Oh my gosh, where to even begin. Such an amazing crew manning the boat! The boys were on it with keeping the boat in tip-top shape, shuttling us back and forth from the boat to the lineup, taking thousands of photos, cooking amazing meals, taking us fishing, and just generally taking good care of us. And they were so stoked the whole time! Our surfguide was such a cool and mellow guy. He would share local knowledge with us about the individual breaks and then give us his opinion of where the best place to surf would be. He never steered us wrong, we scored epic surf almost every day of the trip and more often than not we were the first boat to arrive to any given break each morning. Not only did we get lucky with good weather and good waves while we were there, but we got the best boat crew too. Can’t wait to do it again.
We surfed by ourselves the majority of this trip. The Hole, Lances, Thunders, Maccas! Service and food were worth every penny! Our group will be coming back in 2014!! Best value in the Ments!